Non-penetrating Roof Rack Ballast Questions [RE-wrenches]

Jeffery Wolfe, Global Resource Options jeff at globalresourceoptions.com
Sat Nov 5 14:43:29 PST 2005

Oprah vs Dr. Phil- who is your favorite? Vote now.
http://click.topica.com/caaeatsbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Your opinion

Randy,

While standard blocks have been used for years, we have also seen them
in various states of disintegration, becoming piles of sand in some
instances within 5 years. (both in PV and non-PV applications). This may
just be a "freezing / wet climate" thing. It varies greatly, even on one
job. But if the blocks do become sand, and sand blows or washes away,
what you've got is a non-ballasted ballasted system.

Bill is right that they are easy, and often used, and may be
appropriate. But we try to stay away from them at this point and use
either an attached solution or one of the growing number of
non-penetrating solutions. For the size array that you have, I would
suggest a pressure treated wood sleeper, fully flashed into the roof and
anchored well to structure. Then use a standard UniRac roof/ground tilt
rack with the feet anchored to the sleeper and waterproofed. Slope the
top of the sleepers if worried, and you'll have no leakage issues.

Jeff Wolfe
Global Resource Options
800-374-4494