generators [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas --- OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Wed Sep 28 12:23:52 PDT 2005

Need Emergency Cash? Get Up To $500 Now!
No Credit Checks, Easy & Fast Approval
Cash in you account Overnight!
http://click.topica.com/caadVJ4bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/911PaydayAdvance

Although fuel powered generators use a rotating field to generate the AC
power - they often have outputs which are very distorted sinewaves.
This is caused by how the windings of the generator are controlled or
excited by the voltage regulator system.

Another factor is the loads being power can distort the waveform
substantially in some cases.  Often this occurs when battery charging at
high rates.  Very few generators correct the waveform during the cycle
to keep the waveform sinisodial - only the "inverter-generators" like
these Hondas (and others) are able to do this.

So - is it worth it?  I think so because of the better waveform quality
and the fact that the RPM can be varied when running lighter loads -
resulting in less fuel consumption, less noise and less wear and tear on
the generator itself.  Ask any generator company about running computers
on their generators and they will warn you about problems and advise
these inverter-generator units.

Previously there was not much choice of inverter/generators in the over
3000 watt sizes - Onan has had a unit available for the high end RV
market for many years but it is very expensive.  These new Honda EM5500i
and EM7000i look like a very good option to consider.

I personally like propane as a generator fuel source over gasoline (and
prefer diesel generators even more) - so that is something we will have
to see if it can be done on these units with the variable speed system.

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas @ outbackpower.com
www.outbackpower.com
Arlington WA USA
Tel 360 435 6030

Need a new Cell Phone? A BlackBerry 7250 could be yours free! Find
out how!
http://click.topica.com/caadV2bbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/Amazing phone

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php