SAYNO PANEL GROUNDING [RE-wrenches]

Dan Rice danrice at scinternet.net
Wed Sep 21 17:28:26 PDT 2005

Need a new Cell Phone? A BlackBerry 7250 could be yours free! Find
out how!
http://click.topica.com/caadV2bbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Amazing phone

Tump,

I like using tin plated copper lay-in lugs with stainless set screw,
attached to the module frame with stainless steel thread cutting screws. AEE
sells these dear, in bags of 10. They're code compliant and easy to use.

I've had occasion to want to mount these lugs to Sharp module frames, which
have an undersized grounding screw hole. I contacted Sharp about enlarging
the grounding point hole, and an engineer wrote back and said that it's OK
to enlarge the grounding screw hole (and that doing so will not affect the
module warranty). Upon further inquiry, I was also told:

"You can drill a new hole, on the flange, in the location that will work
best for you. Please send me a picture or drawing to confirm. Great care
should be taken to avoid damage to the laminate. The hole should be located
at the mid-point of the flange width."

With this approval from Sharp, I plan to drill the flange close to the j-box
end of the module, so when the modules are mounted on the rails, I can still
reach the lay-in lugs to install the grounding conductor. I'd wager that Mr.
Wiles might take exception to using something other than the hole designated
by the manufacturer as the grounding point (UL listing, instruction,
etc...), but this approach seems sound and at least meets the approval of
one of the Sharp engineers. Whether Sanyo would agree or not may be worth
inquiring about.

Dan Rice
Abundant Sun, LLC.