Sunny Boy upgrade question [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks bill at brooksolar.com
Wed Aug 31 21:52:04 PDT 2005

Get $1000.00 Overnight! Fast and Easy!
No Credit Checks! Many Lenders are 100% Paperless!
Let The Wizard Find the right Lender for you!
http://click.topica.com/caadOutbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/911PaydayAdvance

Allan,

The  BP 3160 is the silicon nitride anti-reflective coated version of the
SX140. The temperature coefficient is identical. 6 or 7 volts of max power
differential is not all that critical. It is not an ideal arrangement, but
anything you do with this array will not be perfect. See if you can find
some 3150 modules instead of the 3160's. They would just be lower spec 160s.
They may not prominently display these modules on their website, but I bet
they have some. They are on their spec sheet. I wouldn't go to the 3170
because the voltage specs are getting up there on voltage and you are not
going to get the performance that you would get out of 150s or 160s
(essentially you would be buying 170s and getting 150s worth of power). If
you're curious about operating points, use the Maui software to produce IV
curves for normal temperature operation. I think you'll be just fine--just
don't make a habit of it.

Given the way modules are changing so rapidly these days, you are lucky to
still have modules with the same form factor. The color will be slightly
different due to the silicon nitride, but that's not too big a deal. The
lesson to learn here is size your inverter to your array and do not count on
being able to upgrade down the road. It is better to match inverters and
arrays as you go if you can. The saving grace these days is that inverter
efficiency curves are so good down to 10% power, that if you were guaranteed
identical modules in the future, installing half of an array is not nearly
as evil as it used to be with the old Omnion inverters that were at 60%
efficiency at 10% power.

Bill.