1.5 HP well pump [RE-wrenches]

Travis Creswell, Ozark Solar ozsolar at ipa.net
Tue Aug 9 16:07:13 PDT 2005

Windy,

Good job.  I was just testing to see if anybody caught my obviously
inaccurate statement.  You passed the test.  OK, maybe that's not totally
true.

Thanks for the lesson.  I admit I didn't believe you so I checked out my own
3 wire, 1 hp well pump.  You're right. I was...I can't quite say it ...
wrong... there I said it.  I found that my pump has the same surge with the
pressure tank at 40 PSI (cut in for my 40/60 system) as it does at 0 PSI.
If I may try to regain a little pride (I've got plenty to spare so I could
actually stand to loose some) I would like say that I made that observation
by watching the DC amps climbing as the pressure in the system approached
cut off.  At the time I assumed it was coming from a combination of
increasing system pressure and that some was the battery bank voltage
dropping under a heavy load (ohm's law).  Now it's apparent the ALL of the
increase in amps comes from battery bank voltage dipping.

On my system, the AC amperage drops ~1% from 0 psi to 65 psi.  So it might
be more accurate to say "the amps of a centrifugal pump drop significantly
only when it cavitates".

I have a fair amount of experience in centrifugal pumps, HVAC and
circulating so I should have realized this.

Thanks again for the lesson,

Travis Creswell
Ozark Energy Services