Series fusing for string installations [RE-wrenches]

Barbra Kerr bkerr at energy-exchange.org
Mon Aug 1 17:47:09 PDT 2005

Extra! Extra! Read all about it! Get the latest weather,
sports, and lifestyle news you can't afford to miss, all
at a price you can afford to pay!  Click now!
http://click.topica.com/caaa9eYbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/TopOffers
William -

SMA has both a combo dc disconnect/string combiner box OR just the string combiner box, which I prefer.  It is not cheap (over $200) but it works great and allows for independent string testing for maintenance & troubleshooting.  Also, with its independently switched fuseholders (i don't know what else to call them) placing/replacing fuses (KLKD 15amp) is safer
Than the traditional low voltage combiner boxes.  The first time I used it, I loved it. NEMA 3 Rated for vertical hanging only.

John it you're reading, could we please have the board installed (w/UL/CSA APPROVAL) into a PVC box, so that we could install under a module, or at least, flat on its back - for aesthetic reasons - Please!

BARBRA KERR

    Extra! Extra! Read all about it! Get the latest weather,
    sports, and lifestyle news you can't afford to miss, all
    at a price you can afford to pay!  Click now!
    http://click.topica.com/caaa9eYbz8Qcscf6iRFa/TopOffers
    It seems to me that you can use the fused Square D 600 volt DC
    disconnect (H361RB).  The output lugs are rated for 2 wires so you can
    jump two poles together for one of the inverter input lugs and run the
    other lug to the other inverter input.
    David
    David Katz
    President, AEE Solar
    formerly Alternative Energy Engineering
    1155 Redway Drive - Box 339
    Redway, CA 95560 USA
    (707) 825-1200
    (707) 825-1202
    email: david at aeesolar.com
    web: www.aeesolar.com

    William Miller wrote:

    > Now that it is more common to use higher rated battery-less grid-tie
    > inverters, string fusing is now more of an issue.  For example, the
    > SB6000 will require string fusing with a typical three string
    > installation.
    >
    > I would like to use a combiner for this series fusing as well as for
    > disconnecting means.  This means a combiner will need 600 V rating on
    > all parts, rating for disconnection under load and a dead front.
    > Anyone know of such a product?
    >
    > Williaim Miller
    >
    > --

    - - - -