re-sealing cracked modules [RE-wrenches]

Doug Pratt dmpratt at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 1 21:35:06 PDT 2005

Take movies and games anywhere with a Free Playstation Portable!
http://click.topica.com/caadHlFbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ProductTestPanel

This was a fairly regular call when I worked at Real Goods. Get a sheet of
glass or lexan that'll fit snugly inside the frame lip. Seal around the
edges with a generous bead of clear silicon caulk. So long as the module
hasn't been rained on, and no moisture has gotten under the crazed glass,
it'll continue to function. But expect about 25% less power due to all the
crazed glass edges. They'll bounce a lot of light back out. I've seen some
butt ugly modules that were still making respectable power years later. If
any moisture got in, forget it. The little solder strips will start
corroding and eventually go away.

Good luck,
Doug Pratt