C10 license and a visit to the CEC [RE-wrenches]

Bob-O Schultze, Electron Connection econnect at snowcrest.net
Thu Jun 9 09:21:06 PDT 2005

Get a Free Sirius Satellite Package, don't pass on this!
http://click.topica.com/caadAcobz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ProductTestPanel

Pat, Bill, and All,
I took my C10 test in 1991, so things may well have changed, but the
test itself ain't no big deal. Do a two day license instruction school
to learn the contractor law stuff and go for it. As to the 4000 hours,
yes you need to prove that, but you can (or used to be able to)
self-verify a lot of it. Wiring your own home, for example, counted.
Probably still does. If I remember right, you need to have a mix of
residential, commercial, etc., experiences to qualify to sit for the
test. Since you have been legally (I assume) installing PV as a C46,
all that should count. A huge pain to document, no doubt, but easier
than being an apprentice again.
I agree with Don, Bill, and others that C46ers shouldn't get cut off
from doing PV at this point. As and Bs, on the other hand, shouldn't
have been allowed to do it in the first place, IMO, so no sympathy
there. I would also agree that supplemental training and/or
certification should be required for ANYBODY doing PV.  It just makes
good sense. I like the 30KW cap for C46-and untrained C10s- for that
matter, although if you get some legislator to push that, call it
30KVA, not 30KW.
As someone who had to sit down with the IBEW and hash out a new license
classification in OR, all I can say is that I survived it-and so did
the license. IMO, that's what CA Wrenches should consider doing. Find
the common ground and get on the same page as much as possible. What
can that hurt? In the us vs them scenario, they've got more juice
because they're ORGANIZED. For sure, the union sees electricity as
their "turf" and non-union electricians as inferior. You'll have to
stand up and point to where you've been and what you've done. On the
other hand, Sparkies that have come through a union apprentice program
ARE better trained than those of us who have not-generally speaking.
Doesn't necessarily apply to PV at all, but most of what we do isn't PV
specific anyway. Herding the electrons properly from point A to point B
is 80% of the gig. The union training is very good in that regard, so
you have to give the devil his due.
Frankly, I think that CalSeia was -and is- far too compromised to
either have avoided this with a pro-active negotiation /training
stance, or to adopt one in the negotiations now. The manus and
distributors in that group preferred and probably still prefer to have
LOTS and LOTS of dealers. Bad move. It's now biting you in the ass.
While most have now adopted a positive attitude toward training and
certification, it sounds like the State-or at least this bill- is
saying too little, too late. Bummer.
I wish y'all good luck with this. If I were you, I'd be phoning,
knocking on doors, whatever to get the folks who have input to the bill
to listen to reason. The worst thing you can do is nothing. For us in
the north country, it's all moot anyway since we have never had a
nickel from the CEC and aren't likely to get the first one anytime
soon. All our RE is still off-grid, and nobody gives a damn about that,
so...
In solidarity,
bob-O

Need a new washer and dryer set? You could get one free!
http://click.topica.com/caadzTWbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ProductTestPanel

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com