C10 license and a visit to the CEC [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Clearwater clrwater at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 8 13:53:19 PDT 2005

<x-flowed>
Hey Jeff,

You are prime example of why it is so crazy to leave out C-46s.
Upgrading to a C-10 for you might be a challenge as your C-10 hours
are more than the 8 years ago.  For me I have a similar situation, my
electrician hours were in the late 80s or in other states though I
hoping the CSLB will allow my C-46 experience to count as some hours
or some such.

BUT we shouldn't even have to go there!  We've already more than
earned the right to be at the forefront of the Million Roofs program
- not begging for mercy to be included!

AND I do need to correct one thing you said.  C-46 was bit more than
just a "plumbing test".  The most recent test has quite a bit about
PV.  Coupled with my NABCEP cert, and the fact that everytime I talk
code with a C-10 I'm way above his level on PV and the relevant
grounding and service entrance code, I feel like I've been tested
quite well enough thank you!  So no - not another classification -
just an upgrade of the C-46 would be my vote.

I do agree that there needs to be some further test for C-10s to be
sure they know PV.  I'm fantasizing but the right way to go would be
to upgrade the C-46 and then require all Million roofs to have C-46s!
Let the C-10s add a classification category to thier license- not the
other way around!

Best,

Jeff C.

>Your free subscription is supported by today's sponsor:
>Need a Laptop? Get a Sony Vaio Laptop Free!
>http://click.topica.com/caadAcrbz8Qcsa9hBZia/ProductTestPanel
>

>What a mess and tough spot to be in. This C-10 thing is going to get
>very ugly it just seems to be a Catch-22. My situation - 12 years of
>contracting w/a C-10 mostly commercial and industrial. Stopped and
>went into this solar field full time (was doing a bit of PV all
>along and been o-t-g for 27 years). It has been 15 years now since
>that C-10. As I understand it at this stage with a college
>background in EE, 12 years w/C-10 and 27 years in solar and the last
>15 years designing and installing (C-46) PV and SDWH I may not be
>able to install PV systems under the current version of SB1!!
>
>I've yet to meet a C-10 that I did not have to train to some extent
>to install a system.
>
>How about a new class (C-46P?) and a retest to qualify? I realize
>that a C-46 is nothing more than a plumbing test, but there are many
>in my situation - ton's of PV install experience. This needs to be
>valued and counted towards experience.
>
>Time will tell...
>
>-jeff o
>
>>From the Solar, Wind and Hydro powered office of Jeff Oldham

>Buy Stocks and Index Funds for just $4 No Account or
>Investment Minimums and No Inactivity Fees Automatically
>invest weekly or monthly and build your future.
>http://click.topica.com/caadAcmbz8Qcsa9hBZif/Sharebuilder
>
>- - - -
>
>Archive of previous messages: http://lists.topica.com/lists/RE-wrenches/read
>
>List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php
>
>Check out participant bios: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/
>
>Hosted by Home Power magazine

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeff Clearwater
Village Power Design Associates
Sustainable Energy & Water Solutions for Home & Village
http://www.villagepower.com
gosolar at villagepower.com

530-470-9166
877-SOLARVillage