Wire voltage rating and Voc [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks bill at brooksolar.com
Fri May 13 18:44:17 PDT 2005

Save up to 75% on luxury bed & bath! Luxury sheets, duvets,
down comforters, plush towels & more woven from the finest
materials -- 400, 600, 1000 thread count & more from $29.99!
http://click.topica.com/caadt4Abz8Qcsbz9JC9a/SmartBargains

David,

Is the system already installed? If so, the best method is to test the Voc
of the array and show how it compares with the manufacturers ratings at STC,
taking the appropriate derate for temperature (means measuring the module
temperature). You will often be 1-3% below manufacturers ratings on voltage,
enough to get you the 2Volts lower for the 600V limit. The inspector needs
to use Table 690.7, but they may have an old version of the code
(1996--that's sooo old) where 1.25 x Voc was the law (it changed in
1999--and everybody still whines about it--it could be a lot worse).

Otherwise, to use Table 690.7 straight up will require only 11 in series.
You can't comply with better wire because the modules and inverter are rated
at 600Vdc.

Bill.