Tile Roof Installations [RE-wrenches]

Tom DeBates habitek83 at yahoo.com
Fri May 13 16:27:36 PDT 2005

Erase wrinkles without painful injections with Nexiderm SP.
Nexiderm SP is clinically proven to reduce wrinkles by 68% Click
here to get your 30-day free supply.
http://click.topica.com/caadvf5bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Nexiderm

Good day Peter,
  At ASES last Summer, Obadiah Bartholomy from SMUD (916-732-6835)gave a
presentation on direct mounting  to tile and metal roof
surfaces...including adhesive(!).
good luck,
Tom DeBates

info at asappower.com wrote:

> Dear Wrenches,
> Wondering if there are alternatives to ProSolar Tile Trac systems.  Have
> enjoyed working with them on slab tile of sufficient thickness and have
> been
> pleased with barrel tile as well.  However, working with some kiln-fired
> tile and it's very thin and very brittle, yet it's soft and responds
> well to
> a 5/16" masonry bit penetration, just big enough for the post.  This is
> a 5
> year old rooftop in inland SoCal with a 50 year warranty but with NLA
> color,
> so would like to avoid using up the homeowner's pallet full of extra
> tile
> even though it's there, but since it is a slightly different color.
>
> Would like to hear of other tile roof flush-mounted racking methods in
> general.  Would also like to understand roofing warranties more and have
> actually never seen a written one and assume it's for leakage due to a
> poor
> installation or for what?  Aren't these warranties from the roofing
> installer?  Or from the manufacturers for defective tile?  Certainly
> it's
> not going to guarantee tile not breaking for 50 years?  Besides simply
> the
> occasional need to walk on the roof what about large hail stones
> breaking
> the tile?
>
> To continue with my real question:  Rows of this tile do not lay
> perfectly
> flat against the tops of the tiles in the row below and the thinness of
> the
> tile makes for easy breakage of this type of S-tile no matter where you
> step.  Learned to step in about a 4"x 4" area just below the bottom
> right
> edge of tile above the tile being stepped on.  That's ok for best
> movement
> on the roof, but any sudden shift of weight or misstep still can break
> the
> tile right across the middle of the tile, and sometimes down the middle
> of
> the tile, depending on how that particular tile laps on the one below
> the
> tile being stepped on.
>
> Homeowner can deal with the tile trac on the ply/felt substrate and as
> typical, the 7/8" tall trac is placed just above the top edge of the
> lower
> row, just enough to allow room for sliding nut for post.  Still, the
> 7/8"
> tile trac slightly raises the tile receiving the penetration, but this
> should be acceptable and still sheds water nicely to the next tile
> below.
> The gaps are no bigger than the inconsistency of the lap of these tiles
> generally.  Granted the tiles are "covered" by modules but homeowner is
> [...]
Get both the MiFi XM Satellite Radio and an Apple iPod for Free!
http://click.topica.com/caadtaJbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ProductTestPanel

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com