like, what's your phase? [RE-wrenches]

Drake Chamberlin solar at ecoisp.com
Wed May 11 15:08:34 PDT 2005

Want a laptop? Get an Apple iBook for free!
http://click.topica.com/caadtaHbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Amazing Computer

Hi Marco,

A 120/240 volt single phase system is derived from a center tapped single
phase transformer (or generator).  By grounding the center point of a
standard 240 volt transformer, we get our two 120 volt legs.  We also get
the benefit of having 240 volts available with only 120 volts to ground.

European systems often have a single phase 240 volt system grounded at one
end.  That way, one can get a 240 volt shock from a wire touching the case
of an ungrounded appliance.

-Drake

At 09:21 AM 5/11/2005 -1000, you wrote:
>Your free subscription is supported by today's sponsor:
>Need a Laptop? Get a Sony Vaio Laptop Free!
>http://click.topica.com/caadtaFbz8Qcscfm4Owa/ProductTestPanel
>

>A basic Electricity 101 question: why is "single phase" three-wire (two hots
>and a neutral) 120/240VAC called single phase?  Aren't there actually two
>phases 180 degrees opposite of each other?  I mean, I can clearly understand
>why three-phase power is called three phase with each phase, at least in the
>U.S., 120 degrees out-of-phase with each other with no congruence of the
>phases at the zero crossing.  Why then isn't "single phase" actually called
>two phase?  (And yes, I know that "single phase" is also referred to as
>"split phase."  The word "split" implies two, right?
>
>And if, in fact, "single phase" power is single phase, then what's two phase
>power?  I read in the American Electricians' Handbook over the weekend
>references to "two phase power."
>
>I'm confused...
>
>Marco Mangelsdorf
>President
>ProVision Technologies, Inc.
>69 Railroad Avenue, Suite A-7
>Hilo, Hawaii 96720 USA
>(808) 969-3281, fax 934-7462
>www.provisiontechnologies.com
>

>--
>Get both the MiFi XM Satellite Radio and an Apple iPod for Free!
>http://click.topica.com/caadtaJbz8Qcscfm4Owf/ProductTestPanel
>
>- - - -
>
>Archive of previous messages: http://lists.topica.com/lists/RE-wrenches/read
>
>List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php
>
>Check out participant bios: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/
>
>Hosted by Home Power magazine

Erase wrinkles without painful injections with Nexiderm SP.
Nexiderm SP is clinically proven to reduce wrinkles by 68% Click
here to get your 30-day free supply.
http://click.topica.com/caadvf5bz8Qcsbz9JC9f/Nexiderm

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php