Electrolysis Damage Story [RE-wrenches]

Dan Rice danrice at scinternet.net
Thu May 5 23:56:42 PDT 2005

Get both the MiFi XM Satellite Radio and an Apple iPod for Free!
http://click.topica.com/caadtaJbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ProductTestPanel

Allan,

(I can hear the echo of  Mr. Wiles' voice...) "NEC section 110.3(B)
Installation and Use. Listed or labeled equipment shall be installed and
used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or
labeling." Romex clamps are listed for a specific purpose -if you could get
ahold of the listing that applies, it would tell you specifically what
applications they're listed for. Though it's unseemly to speculate, I doubt
that they're listed for wet locations, and it's unlikely that one 1/2"
connector is listed for use with 4 USE-2 conductors along with a bare
ground.  Perhaps call Thomas & Betts or another manufacturer of your choice
to find out if the clamp was listed for this application. Getting ahold of
the actual listing specifications is another matter. According to the UL
General Information for Electrical Equipment Directory, "The basic standard
used to investigate products in this category is UL514B, "Fittings for Cable
and Conduit."" Text of the standard is $330 as a PDF, or $995 hardcopy
(price of paper going up) from UL.

My (admittedly halfass) suggestion for pole repair: Drop a measuring tape
into the pole -if concrete already fills the pole up to ground level, set a
new pole. Does the existing pole have rebar passing through the core below
ground level to keep it from turning in the cement? If so, sliding a 5" pole
into the existing 6" may not work. The 5" pole won't reach very far below
ground and may not provide enough bending strength. If the pole is hollow
all the way to the bottom, make a rebar cage to slide into the pole, and
fill with concrete -like a concrete freeway bridge pillar (with a rusty
steel casing on the outside). Six or eight pole-length #4 re-bars tied to
rebar rings of a diameter small enough to slide into existing pole -use two
or three rings as necessary, and add whatever cross pieces are necessary to
make the rebar cage into a manageable unit. Slide this into top of pole and
grout the pole full -use a vibrator (Makita makes a nice battery powered
small one) or agitate judiciously as you grout.

Good luck.

Dan Rice
Abundant Sun, LLC.
435-826-4565