Electrolysis Damage Story [RE-wrenches]

Matt Tritt solarone at charter.net
Thu May 5 21:45:49 PDT 2005

Erase wrinkles without Botox!
Nexiderm SP is clinically proven to reduce wrinkles by 68%. Click
here to start looking younger today!
http://click.topica.com/caadslIbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Nexiderm

Allan,

Presumably there will be signs of current having passed from your steel
junction box and the mounting pole as well because of the galvanized
pole exterior and the painted mild steel of the box and what happens
when the surfaces are wet. What sounds kind of weird is the amount of
damage to the pole. Was this all new material when installed?

Aside from the questionable installation job, I doubt that Ron and Mike
would suggest using a 5" pole in lieu of 6", especially if the area is
subject to the occasional 60 MPH gust, but maybe you could fill the pole
with concrete to stiffen it up. I have successfully used this method on
a gas tracker after discovering that the owner/installer of the pole had
somehow misconstrued ID and OD dimensions. (Where he found 5.5" pipe is
a mystery). I had an adapter fabricated to fit the tracker socket and
used 4 set screws to keep things solid. It's been through 90 MPH plus
storms with no problem (so far!) You can't "repair" a rusted-through
pole since there is nothing solid enough to weld if it's gone at ground
level.

Using diagonal braces and collars sounds pretty ugly.

It's too bad that your installer wasn't aware of plastic strain reliefs
when he did the job; they've been around since well before '97, as have
the aluminum variety. It's also too bad that he ran his ground wire
along with the PV wires. :-( I admit to having used Romex clamps for
years (starting in '80) in outdoor installations, up until the right
stuff became available, and never had anything remotely like this happen
(fortunately) But then my ground wires only grounded the array and pole
because I mostly used Carlon boxes! :-)

Good luck,

Matt T

http://click.topica.com/caadtrVbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/DiscoverCard