Gridtek 10 islanding with outback? [RE-wrenches]

Todd Cory, Mt. Shasta Energy Services toddcory at finestplanet.com
Thu Apr 28 05:13:04 PDT 2005

Erase wrinkles without Botox!
Nexiderm SP is clinically proven to reduce wrinkles by 68%. Click
here to start looking younger today!
http://click.topica.com/caadslIbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Nexiderm

The homeowners could load shift heavy electrical use to daytime use with simple
mechanical timers. If they heat their water with electricity, that should be done
during the sunniest part of the day, and perhaps the element sized smaller so it
runs longer at a lower wattage. Clothes drying (if electric) could be done
outside the water heater operation, but also during the day. Space heating (if
electric) could also be done during the day to "store" that energy in the
buildings thermal envelope. This should help the PV system offset the utility
loads and increase the value of the power they generate.

Here we are with BushCo rhetoric finally admitting we are rapidly heading at an
energy depletion brick wall full speed... and we have knucklehead states like
Ohio discouraging clean renewable energy by effectively penalizing the power they
produce. What is wrong with this picture???

Todd

David Katz wrote:

> Geoff,
> There is a problem with load shifting with batteries. The batteries will
> cost $0.15 to $0.25 per kilowatt hour if they are well taken care of and
> more if they are ruined early, so he cannot win. If the customer goes
> with a low cost battery like a Trojan L16, each battery can discharge
> about 1 kwh per day if cycled to half discharge. At that rate they would
> be good for 5 years maximum, which is 1825 kilowatt hours per battery.
> $200 / 1825 = $.11 / kwh. You will also lose 10% in the batteries and
> 20% in the inverter. $.11/.7 = $0.16 per kwh. He would be better off
> with the 1.5 cents per kwh from the wind and no batteries.
> Cheers
> David
> David Katz
> President, AEE Solar
> formerly Alternative Energy Engineering
> 1155 Redway Drive - Box 339
> Redway, CA 95560 USA
> (707) 825-1200
> (707) 825-1202
> email: david at aeesolar.com
> web: www.aeesolar.com

Buy Stocks and Index Funds for just $4 No Account or
Investment Minimums and No Inactivity Fees Automatically
invest weekly or monthly and build your future.
http://click.topica.com/caadlVFbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/Sharebuilder

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com