Gridtek 10 islanding with outback? [RE-wrenches]

David Katz david at aeesolar.com
Wed Apr 27 21:39:08 PDT 2005

Buy Stocks and Index Funds for just $4 No Account or
Investment Minimums and No Inactivity Fees Automatically
invest weekly or monthly and build your future.
http://click.topica.com/caadlVFbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Sharebuilder

Geoff,
There is a problem with load shifting with batteries. The batteries will
cost $0.15 to $0.25 per kilowatt hour if they are well taken care of and
more if they are ruined early, so he cannot win. If the customer goes
with a low cost battery like a Trojan L16, each battery can discharge
about 1 kwh per day if cycled to half discharge. At that rate they would
be good for 5 years maximum, which is 1825 kilowatt hours per battery.
$200 / 1825 = $.11 / kwh. You will also lose 10% in the batteries and
20% in the inverter. $.11/.7 = $0.16 per kwh. He would be better off
with the 1.5 cents per kwh from the wind and no batteries.
Cheers
David
David Katz
President, AEE Solar
formerly Alternative Energy Engineering
1155 Redway Drive - Box 339
Redway, CA 95560 USA
(707) 825-1200
(707) 825-1202
email: david at aeesolar.com
web: www.aeesolar.com

Geoff Greenfield wrote:

>Your free subscription is supported by today's sponsor:
>Sign up today for a No Annual Fee Discover® Platinum Card and get…
>0% Intro APR on Purchases & Balance Transfers for 8 Months, Up to
>2% Cashback Bonus® reward on your purchases & 100% fraud
>protection.
>http://click.topica.com/caadlRMbz8QcsciHNopa/DiscoverCard
>
>Thanks for the reply - also (obviously) I could approach this with an SMA
>sunny island (right? lords of the red box?)
>
>Further conversations with the customer have shed more light on the
>situation. Instead of (as I assumed) being motivated by the value of having
>stand by power during outages and a desire to max efficiency/production
>during normal operation, the request for batteries is based on something
>else entirely.  The rural co-op has let him go pure bi-directional net meter
>for 3 years due to lack of policy and luck... they have now installed
>computerized meters and sell him power at 10.6 cents and purchase it at 1.5
>cents.  On average, his wind offsets 60% of his use.  he wants to "load
>shift" (?) with a batt-verter system set up to power most of his 120 loads
>from the batts and charge from the grid/wind AC...  needing some sort of
>control to charge when the wind is exceeding household use, and obviously to
>maintain the batts at some minimum should the wind hit the doldrums...
>
>A design challenge for sure!
>

>For a brighter energy future,
>
>Geoff Greenfield
>NABCEP Certified Energy Practitioner
>
>THIRD SUN SOLAR & WIND POWER Ltd.
>340 West State Street
>Athens, OH 45701
>
>www.third-sun.com
>(740) 597-3111

Extra! Extra! Read all about it! Get the latest weather,
sports, and lifestyle news you can't afford to miss, all
at a price you can afford to pay!  Click now!
http://click.topica.com/caaa9eYbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/TopOffers
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com