Off grid Islanding [RE-wrenches]

Hugh hugh at scoraigwind.co.uk
Fri Apr 15 23:46:14 PDT 2005

Is your PC running at 100%? Check your PC's health in 2 minutes!
http://click.topica.com/caadlAsbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PC Health Check

At 7:24 PM +0000 15/4/05, Christopher Freitas --- OutBack Power wrote:

>The SMA Sunny Island is very similar to an OutBack FX or the old Trace
>SW series inverter/charger.  It is a battery-type inverter which is
>Bi-directional.  It is not able to "sell" power back to the utility grid
>though - it can be used to "create" a local grid which then you can
>connect SMA Sunny Boy grid-tie inverters to create an "islanded" power
>system - i.e. an off-grid system with AC-coupled power sources.
>
>I think what your considering is putting the PV array near the pool and
>maybe using regular grid-tie type SMA Sunny Boy inverters to allow long
>distance transmission of the power to the main SW based system.  This
>can work - in fact it has been done with using SW's as the "utility
>grid" by a few with some success.  I know it works with the OutBack FX
>series as well.

I am intrigued by the differences between bidirectional inverters.  I
know they are entirely different from the old mod-sine inverters
which convert themselves into transformer/rectifier battery chargers
when there is an AC input.  Clearly the latter cannot work both ways
seamlessly, and the AC input terminal is never connected to the
output of the inverter as such, only to the loads.

In the case of the SW I get the impression that the AC input is only
different from the AC output in that it has a relay for synching up
to the output and also probably a current sensor, so that the
inverter can gauge how much it can draw off that source.

The FX is different again in some ways I believe, but I have not yet
got my head around that.  Chris told me that it cannot do 'generator
support' yet, but I am not clear why not.  If it can inverter and
charge seamlessly then why can it not share the load with another
source?  I guess I ought to go to the web page and download some
manuals and find out as best I can what is going on.
--
Hugh

Scoraig Wind Electric
http://www.scoraigwind.co.uk/

Sign up today for a No Annual Fee Discover® Platinum Card and get…
0% Intro APR on Purchases & Balance Transfers for 8 Months, Up to
2% Cashback Bonus® reward on your purchases & 100% fraud
protection.
http://click.topica.com/caadlRMbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/DiscoverCard

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php