Off grid Islanding [RE-wrenches]

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Fri Apr 15 13:37:12 PDT 2005

Need a Laptop? Get a Sony Vaio Laptop Free!
http://click.topica.com/caadlVAbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ProductTestPanel

>HI Chris & Joel;

Thanks for your replies. I talked to Windy and I am probably going to go DC
direct pumping, as long as they don't want a hot tub too. I may still
consider the islanding plan to add more capacity to the main system and for
lights etc. at the pool.
My islanding plan was just what you said in the 2nd paragraph Chris,
creating an islanded system that would be tied to the main system by the
batteries, but would otherwise be independent with an islanding inverter on
each end. That way if it was cloudy it would run off the main batteries
through that inverter, and if it were sunny, it would run off the pool side
inverter. If the pool pump were off then it would send power to the main
battery bank.... Or so I think. John Berdner or another wrench  more
knowledgeable than myself should set me straight.

Ray

>Ray -
>
>I think your ideas good - but there is a lot of confusion out there as
>to what the SMA Sunny Island inverter is capable of doing in a system
>like this.
>
>The SMA Sunny Island is very similar to an OutBack FX or the old Trace
>SW series inverter/charger.  It is a battery-type inverter which is
>Bi-directional.  It is not able to "sell" power back to the utility grid
>though - it can be used to "create" a local grid which then you can
>connect SMA Sunny Boy grid-tie inverters to create an "islanded" power
>system - i.e. an off-grid system with AC-coupled power sources.
>
>I think what your considering is putting the PV array near the pool and
>maybe using regular grid-tie type SMA Sunny Boy inverters to allow long
>distance transmission of the power to the main SW based system.  This
>can work - in fact it has been done with using SW's as the "utility
>grid" by a few with some success.  I know it works with the OutBack FX
>series as well.
>
>The real issue is that even with the Sunny Boys added to the system the
>entire AC load needs to be able to run off the capacity of the main
>battery inverter in case a cloud comes over or the Sunny Boys shut down.
>

>In my opinion doing the DC pumps direct from the PV array makes the most
>sense to me.
>
>Christopher
>
>Christopher Freitas
>OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
>cfreitas @ outbackpower.com
>www.outbackpower.com
>Arlington WA USA
>Tel 360 435 6030
>
>Your free subscription is supported by today's sponsor:
>Investigate just about anyone and anything with Web Detective!
>http://click.topica.com/caadlCmbz8QcsbeuiVOf/Web Detective
>
>- - - -
>
>Archive of previous messages: http://lists.topica.com/lists/RE-wrenches/read
>
>List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php
>
>Check out participant bios: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/
>
>Hosted by Home Power magazine

Ray Walters
ray at solarray.com
President, SolarRay, Inc.
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer
BS Mechanical Engineering, UT Austin 88
Returned US Peace Corps Volunteer

Is your PC running at 100%? Check your PC's health in 2 minutes!
http://click.topica.com/caadlAsbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/PC Health Check

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com