Pressure Treated Ground Mounts [RE-wrenches]

Roy Butler, Four Winds RE roy at four-winds-energy.com
Sat Mar 19 06:20:27 PST 2005

How would you like a Complimentary Kmart $500 GiftCard by
participating in our special promotion?
http://click.topica.com/caadi1cbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/RewardsVenue

Hi Jeff,

We install quite a few PT ground mount systems each year for our
off-grid customers....probably have about 25 of this type out there now.
But we only use that as a base for a manufactured adjustable tilt ground
mount system. I would never mount modules directly to the
wood...dis-similar material expansion/contraction issues...wood
shrinkage/ warpage issues....all would stress the module.

For smaller systems (under 1KW) we use 4x4 posts...for larger, 6x6s. A
full 4 feet in the ground (frost line here).
As for the horizontal rail size and post spacing....it's like planning
floor joists....depends on the load and span.

If you want some specs and pics please contact me off list. FYI....I'm
in Western NY where the winters are tad worse than where you are....so
the type of construction we use should be more than adequate for your area!

--
Roy Butler
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer™

Jeff Irish wrote:

>Your free subscription is supported by today's sponsor:
>Erase wrinkles without painful injections with Nexiderm SP.
>Nexiderm SP is clinically proven to reduce wrinkles by 68% Start
>your free 14-day trial today!
>http://click.topica.com/caadfBPbz8QcsbAlljZa/Nexiderm
>
>Dear fellow Wrenches,
>
>Any advice out there regarding constructing pressure treated ground mount
>structures for PV systems for the northern half of the country?  What column
>size (4x4?), what spacing?  What size cross bracing?  Nails, lags screws or
>bolts to hold it all together?  Mount the modules to the wood directly, or
>use steel Unistrut, or extruded aluminum rails like Solarmounts?  Any
>galvanic corrosion issues with steel?  Any advice about what works and
>doesn't work would be appreciated.
>
>Jeff Irish
>Hudson Valley Clean Energy, Inc.
>New York State

Get a FREE* 5 Megapixel Digital Camera - yours to keep!
http://click.topica.com/caadeMobz8Qcsbz9JC9f/5 Megapixel Digital Camera Promotion

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com