Metallic vs. non metallic SO connectors [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at slonet.org
Mon Feb 21 20:55:45 PST 2005

Your opinion counts! We're giving away ten $100 cash prizes!
A major food company wants to know what you think about a product
& package design. Hurry, only ten $100 prizes left!
http://click.topica.com/caadbR9bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Val Rad Survey

As most of you know by now, we use only conduit to connect Shell modules,
specifically 1/2" non-metallic flex.  We install Arlington connectors which
are entirely plastic except for a metal lock nut.  There does not appear to
be any question about compliance with these connectors.

We tighten the lock nuts with the Klein D333-8 lock nut/reaming
pliers.  They work great, but the joints can get stiff and can be a bear to
loosen up.  Keep them lubricated.

William Miller

At 06:48 PM 2/21/2005, you wrote:

>We use a UL listed plastic strain relief from Del City Wire. Its a little
>heavier duty than the ones that come with some modules, and since they
>don't have lock nuts, we supply our own metal ones. I work on a lot of old
>modules here, and I see about 15% to30% failure of those old plastic
>locknuts. If working with a tracking system, the locknut failure can
>loosen the electrical connection in the module J box, which (with other
>factors) can lead to a nasty terminal block meltdown. I'll send some
>pictures if anyone wants. Considering the cost of 1/2" steel lock nuts,
>why keep using the inferior plastic ones?
>What are other wrenches using to tighten those pesky strain reliefs
>without digging into the back of the module, twisting up the wire, or
>straining the sometimes wimpy j box? I use a small 7" channel locks.
>
>Ray

Get both the PlayStation2 and Game Cube for Free! Click here to
find out how.
http://click.topica.com/caac8utbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/Consumer Research

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php