Metallic vs. non metallic SO connectors [RE-wrenches]

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Mon Feb 21 18:48:57 PST 2005

Your opinion counts! We're giving away ten $100 cash prizes!
A major food company wants to know what you think about a product
& package design. Hurry, only ten $100 prizes left!
http://click.topica.com/caadbR9bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Val Rad Survey

We use a UL listed plastic strain relief from Del City Wire. Its a little
heavier duty than the ones that come with some modules, and since they
don't have lock nuts, we supply our own metal ones. I work on a lot of old
modules here, and I see about 15% to30% failure of those old plastic
locknuts. If working with a tracking system, the locknut failure can loosen
the electrical connection in the module J box, which (with other factors)
can lead to a nasty terminal block meltdown. I'll send some pictures if
anyone wants. Considering the cost of 1/2" steel lock nuts, why keep using
the inferior plastic ones?
What are other wrenches using to tighten those pesky strain reliefs without
digging into the back of the module, twisting up the wire, or straining the
sometimes wimpy j box? I use a small 7" channel locks.

Ray

>I'm
>inclined to go with the Carlons and forget about the metal lock  nuts -will
>find out in a couple of years how they hold  up.
>

>I have been using plastic compression fittings on the backs of modules for
>years with few problems.
>
>Don

Buy Stocks and Index Funds for just $4 No Account or
Investment Minimums and No Inactivity Fees Automatically
invest weekly or monthly and build your future.
http://click.topica.com/caac8urbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/Sharebuilder

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com