Metallic vs. non metallic SO connectors [RE-wrenches]

Dan Rice danrice at scinternet.net
Mon Feb 21 16:04:21 PST 2005

Your opinion counts! We're giving away ten $100 cash prizes!
A major food company wants to know what you think about a product
& package design. Hurry, only ten $100 prizes left!
http://click.topica.com/caadbR9bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Val Rad Survey

David,
    Thanks for your observations. Since I'm using BP SX-110 modules with
plastic j-boxes, the bonding issue with metallic connectors is what is
concerning me, along with the potential deterioration of the non-metallic SO
connectors.
    The metal lock nuts used on non-metallic SO connectors are attached
inside of the j-box, and are not exposed. You're right that, under NEC 250.4
these lock nuts, if metal, must be bonded to ground. Grounding these lock
nuts would be onerous. I've taken to using the metal lock nuts as a solution
to the plastic nuts beaking, but I hadn't considered bonding to be an issue
in the past since there's no touch hazard unless the jbox cover is
removed-but it's worth considering.
    I'm wondering if other Wrenches have had problems with plastic lock nuts
breaking and SO connectors falling free from J-boxes. I've seen it several
times out here in the sunny southwest, especially with the old black
connectors provided with BP 275 modules. Has anyone else had this
experience? What about with Carlon or other non-metallic SO connectors? I'm
inclined to go with the Carlons and forget about the metal lock nuts -will
find out in a couple of years how they hold up.

Thanks,

Dan Rice
Abundant Sun, LLC.