Metallic vs. non metallic SO connectors [RE-wrenches]

David Nixon david.nixon at arisetech.com
Mon Feb 21 14:03:43 PST 2005

Your opinion counts! We're giving away ten $100 cash prizes!
A major food company wants to know what you think about a product
& package design. Hurry, only ten $100 prizes left!
http://click.topica.com/caadbR9bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Val Rad Survey

Hi Dan

If I understand properly, how would a metal "SO" connector be bonded in
a plastic junction box useing USE-2? For us a metal connector is only
used with a metal box. The metal nut on a plastic connector would need a
bonding lug on it when used with a plastic box. Metal lock nuts with
bonding lugs exist if you realy want to use them.

David Nixon

Dan Rice wrote:

> Wrenches,
>
> When using SO connectors with J-box type modules in higher voltage
> string inverter grid tie systems, do you prefer to use non-metallic type
> SO connectors with single-conductor USE-2 wire? Is anyone using metallic
> SO connectors? What are your thoughts regarding longevity, potential
> shock hazards, or other factors related to using metal SO connectors? (I
> know they're more expensive). In the past, I've used non-metallic SO
> connectors, substituting metal lock nuts (I've seen too many plastic
> nuts break, leaving the connector hanging out of the J-box). Considering
> that the compression nuts on the plastic connectors are rather thin
> material and may deteriorate over time, I'm considering metal SO
> connectors for a job on a government building, for longevity purposes.
> Y'all's thoughts would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dan Rice
> Abundant Sun, LLC.
> 435-826-4565

David Nixon Canada

Want a laptop? Get an Apple iBook for free!
http://click.topica.com/caadazsbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/Amazing Computer

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com