Wind-Loading and Tilted panels on roofs [RE-wrenches]

Jeffery Wolfe, Global Resource Options jeff at globalresourceoptions.com
Sun Feb 20 10:44:09 PST 2005

Your opinion counts! We're giving away ten $100 cash prizes!
A major food company wants to know what you think about a product
& package design. Hurry, only ten $100 prizes left!
http://click.topica.com/caadbR9bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Val Rad Survey

We routinely put PV at the angle of the roof, at the direction of the
roof, for on-grid installations. Off-grid, we try to optimize a bit more
for winter conditions, but on-grid, for total annual energy production,
east and west facing are not as bad as you might think. Run a Maui Solar
simulation (or PV watts) for the different directions, and you'll see.
Depending upon location, roof pitch, etc., you may get over 80% facing
east and west. Then compare that to the added cost for weird / ugly tilt
racks. It may be less expensive on a kWh generated basis to go with
flush racks.

Jeff

Jeffery D. Wolfe, P.E.
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer(tm)
Global Resource Options, LLP, Solar  Wind  Energy Solutions