Hydro & Outback [RE-wrenches]

Bob Maynard, Energy Outfitters bob at energyoutfitters.com
Wed Feb 16 08:47:48 PST 2005

Your opinion counts! We're giving away ten $100 cash prizes!
A major food company wants to know what you think about a product
& package design. Hurry, only ten $100 prizes left!
http://click.topica.com/caadbdubz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Val Rad Survey

Keith,

Christopher and Bob-O are right on the dc hydro info so I'll share a
little more from the ac side.

Sounds to me like the first step is to have the hydro guy estimate the
energy potential before any decisions are made.  AC hydro's are a
significantly larger upfront investment than multiple dc's, but it
sounds like cost may not a big issue here.  With the potential for all
the unknown future loads, if there's more than 5kw of resource and a
VERY stable minimum flow rate, I'd be taking a long hard look at AC.
The other design elements are the intake and the penstock.  Sounds like
there's no shortage of water, but I'd guess that during the wet season
the stream flow can increase quickly, similar to streams in southern
Oregon.  I've seen several good intake systems that during peak flows
draw a fair amount of air just from the turbulence of the water.

As is the case with a genny, for stable ac voltage and freq. the hydro
gen. has to maintain constant rpm's.  The most common regulation system
I've worked with is Thomas and Howe.  It's a multiple step system that
adds or sheds resistive (typically) loads as the primary loads
fluctuate.  Great way to heat or preheat water.

If you want more info on AC hydro, Dan New at Canyon Industries has a
wealth of knowledge and experience, 360-592-5552.

Regards,
Bob Maynard
Energy Outfitters

The main house (6000sq ft) hasn't been built yet and neither has the
pool
(3HP with water features). No heating yet, but I am confident it will be
sweet luxury. Well pump 1.5HP. most other appliances propane.
There is another motive for the hydro- coffee plantation.
So, this might be a larger than 3kw. They have a hydro guy who has
worked on
the systems for the local farm magnates here for the last 20 years and
he
seemed quite knowledgeable. Where this place is, is the wettest place on
earth- Kauai. Water always flows their.

Bob they are the typical off gridder that I meet here (or on gridder).
They
never know how much they will spend (sounds like our gov't) on their
energy
requirements. (The ubiquitous 3-4 bedroom home 2 car garage, 2 kids).

Looking for someone? Need a background check?
Investigate anyone, anywhere with Web Detective.
Lifetime access only $29.95. Start searching now!
http://click.topica.com/caadaSqbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/Web Detective

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com