Re;flat plate reliability--was thermax [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at slonet.org
Tue Feb 1 20:51:26 PST 2005

Like music?  Get a CD player on us. Click here.
http://click.topica.com/caac8ucbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PermissionData

Ken:

The comments below are one of the reasons I am such a stickler for quality,
reliable installations.  I do not want the PV industry to get a bad
reputation.  I think it is easy to be stereotyped as a boom and bust
industry, with no longevity to installations.  We have to work that much
harder to counter the reputations from the past.

William Miller

At 07:39 PM 2/1/2005, you wrote:

>More general problems,in my experience, are; 1--asphalt roofs needing
>replacement when collectors have not been installed with flashing under the
>bottom mounts to allow for shingle replacement without moving the
>collectors, and 2-- 20 years of tree growth and shading of collectors [ I
>had one that was completely covered by a maple tree] and 3-- new owners that
>didn't inquire about the system when they bought,didn't know or care about
>the value of the system, or just assumed that it was not an asset because of
>the many shoddy systems installed with tax credits.
>
>I suspect these same problems will affect PV systems only more so because of
>;1-- larger roof area, 2--greater susceptibility to shading, and, 3-- well,
>maybe the industry has learned some lessons from the 70's. What do you all
>think in the high rebate states? I don't see many wrenches on this list from
>NJ-- and what is the percentage from CA?

Get a FREE* Portable Satellite Radio - yours to keep! Click Here!
http://click.topica.com/caac8uybz8Qcsbz9JC9f/Portable Satellite Radio Promotion

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com