DC breaker box [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at slonet.org
Mon Jan 31 10:59:10 PST 2005

Need a Laptop? Get a Sony Vaio Laptop Free!
http://click.topica.com/caac6MFbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ProductTestPanel

At 06:27 AM 1/29/2005, you wrote:

>Wrenches,
>We need a separate DC load center for general use, so I'm putting out the
>idea here. I have sometimes wished there was an easy way to add DC breakers
>at remote locations, such as a subpanel disconnect for a pressure pump in a
>well pit. The best we have is Square D QO, but that's DC rated only to 50V,
>so it won't work on 48V systems, and John Wiles doesn't like it on 24V
>either (though we use it because it's all we have). But with more 48V
>systems going in, it's becoming more of a problem.

Allan:

I believe John Wiles might complain only if Square D breakers where used
for PV disconnect in a 24 V system because of the higher OC output of PV
modules.  For DC distribution, QO and QOU breakers should be OK in a 24 V
system.  The UL rating for these breakers is 45 VDC and the factory
certification is for 125 VDC.  If you are not planning on being inspected,
I have no problem using QOU for 48 VDC systems.

William Miller

We have the 42 Inch Plasma TV you've been looking for!!  Sony or
Panasonic 42 Inch Plasma Wide Screen TV's. Put one up on your
wall today!  Click Below
http://click.topica.com/caac7hRbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ExclusiveRewards

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php