Roof Standoffs [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at slonet.org
Mon Jan 24 09:29:51 PST 2005

Like music?  Get a CD player on us. Click here.
http://click.topica.com/caac2NUbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PermissionData

Mark:

Well, I went to the web site referred to below but nowhere do I see the
words "Pipe Collars" on their home page.  Your original post referred to
"rain boot," and I didn't find that phrase either.  I tried clicking the
various links but could not find what I think you are referring to.  Could
you browse to the specific page showing the products you are recommending
and paste the links in a reply e-mail?

Please define "low profile roof flashing."  Does that mean the dome shaped
flashing rather than the cone shaped?

BTW, when we do tile roofs, we typically double flash, that is, we flash to
the paper and again to the tile, either flat or barrel.  In these cases,
the wide flange top flashing must fit over the narrow flange lower
flashing.  The only combo I have found that does this is the Oatey.

We've heard here recently that Oatey flashings installed in 1972 are still
intact. Have you actually seen Oateys fail in the field?

We've tried the standard conical flashings obtained at plumbing and
electrical supply houses and they do not fit over the flange bases on the
DPW power posts.  You can force the outer edge of the flange on the
flashing down on the paper, but you have to bend the flange and you do not
get good contact.  This had been the source of some consternation and was
resolved only when we changed over to the Oateys.  This is why I am
concerned that the Oateys have longevity, as they are our only solution,
that is, unless the IPSCorp product offers another option.

Thanks again,

William Miller

At 09:32 PM 1/23/2005, you wrote:

>"What make and model flashing do you use over the power posts?  Does the
>flashing hit the flange or does it lie flat on the roof?  Also, I looked
>at the ipscorp web site.  I did not find a search
>function.  Could you give a specific URL for the two products mentioned?"
>
>William, just go to www.ipscorp.com, click on Pipe Collars, then you will
>see the assortment of sizes.  Almost any low profile flashing will work
>over the DPW Power Post (as well as Professional Solar Products Roof Jack,
>etc).  Yes the cone of the flashing clears the flange at the base.  You
>can buy the flashings and the rubber collars at any roofing supply house.
>Mark
>Cobalt Power Systems

Show your pride with a free* USA T-shirt.  Click here to confirm
your address.
http://click.topica.com/caac48Tbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/PermissionData

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php