EMFs and inverters [RE-wrenches]

Bob-O Schultze, Electron Connection econnect at snowcrest.net
Fri Jan 21 14:25:09 PST 2005

Kelly,
When Richard Perez and I were doing measurements on EMF fields with
our homemade Gaussmeters years ago, we found the largest source of
EMF came from the inverter/Battery cables. Makes sense as there is
some heavy amperage switching going on. Twisting the cables together
helped some, but the best cure was distance. At a bit over six feet
away from the cables, we were almost at background readings. The
moral of that story is: Don't put the inverter under the bed, or if
you must-put it at the foot rather than the head.
Allan S. is correct for the ac wiring as well. Twisting the
conductors-but not the ground wire helped. Putting the whole shebang
in EMT or metal flex really did the job.
Bob-O

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com