PV panel raw materials? [RE-wrenches]

Bob Maynard, Energy Outfitters bob at energyoutfitters.com
Wed Jan 19 08:43:26 PST 2005

Daryl,

The silicon plant you're thinking of is in Moses Lake, WA.  I heard at
last weeks OSEIA meeting that they have sold out everything they can
produce for the next 5 years!

In addition to silicon being in short supply, of all things, Tedlar is
too!  Dupont can't spool up fast enough to meet demand.  I spoke with a
PV manufacturer a couple of weeks ago that is now substituting polyester
for tedlar.  The polyester is supposedly better but also more money.
There's another nickel per watt!

I've also heard low iron glass is in short supply but have not been able
to confirm it.

My guess is if the global demand for pv keeps increasing at the present
rates, it may take a couple of years for everyone to spool up.

Best Regards,
Bob Maynard