More Trimetric questions [RE-wrenches]

Kelly Larson SolarWrench at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 13 16:17:04 PST 2005

Thank you Allan and Phil for your responses on the Trimetric
programming.  I very much appreciate the feedback.  This customer’s
problem is obvious- huge bat bank with too little charge rate- which
could be fixed by changing to higher system voltage.  But as is often
the case, finances don’t allow for that solution.  In the meantime, lots
of genny wear and tear is the only answer, if I can get them to do it!
I wouldn’t be surprised if I have to prematurely replace the bank.

Phil said:

If you really want to reset the chF alarm manually:

Press and hold the Select button until you get to the historical data.
Tap
the Select button until you get to DSC (days since charged). Press and
hold
Reset until the number resets to 0.

However, the alarm is an warning for a reason. If inaccurate programming
is
causing this problem, fix the programming. If caused by inadequate
charging
capability or too short charge times, "fixing" the problem by resetting
the
alarm is like driving your car with duct tape over the gauges to keep
from
being annoyed by that pesky low oil light.

Batteries need to be charged to truly full at least once a week. If the
customer is not achieving this, what is the cause? Is the charging
source
going to float but the meter not resetting? If so, are the inverter
charger
settings adequate? Or are the TM settings too conservative? Or is the
customer not allowing the generator to fully charge the batteries (200a
charging into 3500ah = a heck of a lot of genny runtime)

For setpoints for this situation, I would begin with 14.4, 70a, 95-96H,
PO1,
3,000-3,500ah, 7dSC, 90dSE, 11bLO.

Phil Undercuffler ext.238
Technical Support
ph- at dankoffsolar.com

Dankoff Solar Products

The Premier Manufacturer and Distributor of Solar Water Pumps, and
Wholesale Distributor of Solar Electric, Wind, and Solar Heating
Equipment

888-396-6611 toll free
505-473-3800 phone
505-473-3830 fax