controller settings for diversion load and generators... [RE-wrenches]

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 11 06:00:30 PST 2005

Thanks Hugh for bringing this to the attention of
folks.
Your points are well taken and most certianly apply to
PV also.  The battery charging and control issues also
apply to series regulators. The battery charging and
control issues are real and mostly not delt with by
manufactures.  I have done some things with series
diodes to get a voltage drop of half to 3/4 volt per
diode to solve some of the problems.  However with my
age I am no longer able to contribute to the solution
due to the complexity of the issues.

However I feel that things like the smart shunt that
Outback proposed a while back is a step in the right
direction.  Also a remote sense on the battery voltage
allowing the inverter-controller system to function
correctly even when the battery voltage is droped
uning diodes.  In my dreams the charge
controller-inverter system would look at the currents
in the inverter, charge controller and DC loads use an
algorhythem to correctly charge the battery (ie using
the state of charge and voltage to determine the
charge rate to prevent gassing overcharging
undercharging ect).  In Outbacks case this may require
two seperate smart shunts and remote voltage sense,
along with a super Mate to oversee this configuration.

To help with the Overvoltage, Maybe there is a circuit
that has no standby load or standby in the mill-amp
range yet can give a 1 or 1.5 volt drop over a very
large current range.  Perhaps a series regulator would
surfice for the voltage control problem, the small
manufactures solar controllers, BK etc. could take the
lead. (As you know, series regulators are easly built
for small current loads using three terminal
regulators. But I always get scared when I build a
special circuit for a customer.)

Darryl