Crimp lugs [RE-wrenches]

Kurt Albershardt info at es-ee.com
Fri Sep 16 16:55:16 PDT 2005

Need Emergency Cash? Get Up To $500 Now!
No Credit Checks, Easy & Fast Approval
Cash in you account Overnight!
http://click.topica.com/caadVJ4bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/911PaydayAdvance

--On Saturday, September 17, 2005 11:31 AM +1200 Bruce Geddes <b.geddes at clear.net.nz> wrote:

> Further to the topic of crimp lugs and straded cables that came up a while
> ago where it was proposed to ban the use of such cables in our systems.

I think the issue is with terminating high strand count cable in screw terminals not designed for such cable.

> I have recently been on an evening instruction course with Utilux on
> crimping.  Their lugs are rated for use with stranded cables but ONLY if
> used with Utilux crimp tools.  They will offer a full 60 year unlimited
> warranty on the joint if it is done properly.
>
> Don't know if the same thing applies Stateside, but it presents a pretty
> good case to argue against restricting the use of these cables.

Lugs designed for this purpose are manufactured in staggering variety by T&B, Burndy, and others and can be sourced from the major electrical supply houses.  All of the manufacturers sell both manual crimp tools and an array of hydraulic tools (powered by hand pumps, AC electric pumps, DC handheld Makita-like tools, and even gasoline fired pumps.)  They are used daily by the telecom and energy industries and there are well accepted standards for verifying the integrity of a crimp.  When properly
terminated, good lugs provide by far the cleanest and most reliable connections I have seen.

> Incidentally the rep had a pretty good set of horror stories and examples of
> stiff cables crimped incorrectly that caused fires!

Indeed!

.

Need a new Cell Phone? A BlackBerry 7250 could be yours free! Find
out how!
http://click.topica.com/caadV2bbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/Amazing phone

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php