Watts a horse power [RE-wrenches]

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Fri Aug 12 15:47:36 PDT 2005

Erase wrinkles without Botox! Nexiderm SP is clinically proven to
reduce wrinkles by 68% Click here to get your 30-day free supply.
http://click.topica.com/caadOvzbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Nexiderm

Hey Windy;

I thought I would jump on this dinner deal too.....I'll bring the porter
ale.....

>As for the 1 HP SQ pump drawing 2400 watts, that sounds excessive. It's a
>different motor technology but my impression is that the efficiency is
>about the same as conventional pumps (after startup).

The  3" diam. SQ pumps are slightly less efficient than their 4 " cousins,
at least according to Grundfos's design software that predicts annual
energy use. That 2400 watt draw is close to the same DC number I saw with a
1 Hp SQ at 350 ft to water and 40 psi. Inverter was an SW plus (Pyramid
psuedo sine wave?).

>And Todd, yes, some drillers make a habit of putting an oversized pump in
>the well. Besides some greed, they may actually feel that they are doing a
>favor to the customer IN CASE of extraordinary circumstances. Some
>customers love power !! They will take ASK for more if it doesn't cost
>much or the driller just happens to have a bigger one on the shelf that
>he's itchy to move.

We have several customers with deep wells that ended up with 3 Hp pumps. I
like your V 8 macho American analogy.  We're going to try a pair of Outback
inverters to run one, but most have been run on generators.

>I'll buy you dinner when I visit some time, but only if the SQ is still
>working, and you buy the wine. The reliability of any electronic device is
>reduced on mod-square. It will certainly run hotter, and components are
>stressed by spikes and vibration. I'm sure you have heard the difference
>in numerous loads -- buzzing noise from transformers, fluor lights, etc.
>The risk may be minor, but only collective experience will tell.

We've run SQs on DR inverters also, so far so good. They've already stayed
in the hole longer than a lot of  solar pumps of past experience, but the
inefficiency begins weighing them down in systems that need more than a
couple of hundred gallons/ day.

Much Bozo Honking,

Ray

Get up to $1500.00 Fast and Easy!
No Credit Checks! No Paper Hassles! Nothing To Fax!
Apply Online and We'll Contact You Within the Hour!
http://click.topica.com/caadOuobz8Qcsbz9JC9f/911PaydayAdvance

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com