1.5 HP well pump [RE-wrenches]

Matt Tritt solarone at charter.net
Mon Aug 8 20:11:29 PDT 2005

Erase wrinkles without Botox! Nexiderm SP is clinically proven to
reduce wrinkles by 68% Click here to get your 30-day free supply.
http://click.topica.com/caadOvzbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Nexiderm

Hey Todd and Travis,

Another way to solve this problem might be to replace the pump with
something a little easier to handle, maybe like a Grundfos SQ or SQE
with variable speed/constant pressure. This way you can avoid the
(absolutely necessary) storage tank and added pressure pump costs, not
the least of which will be the labor. I don't know how they would work
with the squarewave, but it wouldn't hurt to ask Grundfos about it.

Matt T

Travis Creswell, Ozark Solar wrote:

>Hello Todd,
>
>I'm kind of surprised they won't start it.
>
>What's the starting and running amps?  This is a three wire pump, right?  It
>should say right on the box what the starting and running amps is supposed
>to be.  What's the battery bank dipping down to?  A few bad batteries could
>really pull the bank down.  I've seen that several times.  And see if you
>can't talk them into eliminating a few of those parallel strings.
>
>Are the battery cables already 4/0?  When it's close to working, the
>shortest and largest battery cables possible can really help with surge
>problems.  I did a lot of playing around with this one time to get too small
>of an inverter to start an AC unit for an RV.
>
>What's the pressure switch set at?  If it's a 40/60 you might solve the
>problem most of the time by changing out to a 20/40.
>
>What about using the 240v well pump to fill atmospheric storage tank?  Then
>using a small pump (12 volt DC?) for pressure?  You could prove if this
>would work by testing to see how reliably the pump would start when the
>pressure is 0 psi.  Turn the well breaker off - then open a tap until the
>water stops running - turn the breaker back on, etc.
>
>Good Luck,
>
>Travis Creswell
>
>-----------------
>From: Todd Cory, Mt. Shasta Energy Services toddcory at finestplanet.com
>Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2005 08:55:45 -0700
>To: RE-wrenches at topica.com
>Subject: 1.5 HP well pump [RE-wrenches]
>
>Wrenches,
>
>I inherited a poorly designed off grid system I am working on. It has a
>stacked (240 volt) pair of DR1512 inverters fed by 12 L-16H batteries
>(12 volts at 2500 a/h!!) trying to start a 1.5 HP well pump! The
>inverters amazingly can occasionally start the pump when the batteries
>are fully charged, but you know this has got to be a struggle for them.
>
>I recall at one time someone saying increasing the capacitance of the
>starting capacitor would ease the starting. It has a 240 volt 120 MFD
>one now. What would people suggest (other than larger inverters) to make
>this pump start reliably? Doesn't someone make a soft start control for
>a well pump?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Todd

Hershey’s® or Ghirardelli® Chocolate?
Take our Nationwide Chocolate Survey today!
Receive a FREE* $100 restaurant gift card of your choice or $100
worth Hershey’s® or Ghirardelli® Chocolate for participating!
http://click.topica.com/caadOv3bz8Qcsbz9JC9f/Chocolate Survey

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com