1.5 HP well pump [RE-wrenches]

Travis Creswell, Ozark Solar ozsolar at ipa.net
Mon Aug 8 19:26:30 PDT 2005

Hello Todd,

I'm kind of surprised they won't start it.

What's the starting and running amps?  This is a three wire pump, right?  It
should say right on the box what the starting and running amps is supposed
to be.  What's the battery bank dipping down to?  A few bad batteries could
really pull the bank down.  I've seen that several times.  And see if you
can't talk them into eliminating a few of those parallel strings.

Are the battery cables already 4/0?  When it's close to working, the
shortest and largest battery cables possible can really help with surge
problems.  I did a lot of playing around with this one time to get too small
of an inverter to start an AC unit for an RV.

What's the pressure switch set at?  If it's a 40/60 you might solve the
problem most of the time by changing out to a 20/40.

What about using the 240v well pump to fill atmospheric storage tank?  Then
using a small pump (12 volt DC?) for pressure?  You could prove if this
would work by testing to see how reliably the pump would start when the
pressure is 0 psi.  Turn the well breaker off - then open a tap until the
water stops running - turn the breaker back on, etc.

Good Luck,

Travis Creswell