When the battery set gets low [RE-wrenches]

Hugh hugh at scoraigwind.co.uk
Sun Jul 31 05:53:56 PDT 2005

Hershey’s® or Ghirardelli® Chocolate?
Take our Nationwide Chocolate Survey today!
Receive a FREE* $100 restaurant gift card of your choice or $100
worth Hershey’s® or Ghirardelli® Chocolate for participating!
http://click.topica.com/caadKa5bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Chocolate Survey

>Just an observation.  When the battery set gets low,
>it takes a lot of energy to recharge.  It acts as if
>the battery efficency is very poor.  When the customer
>is low on battery power and they run the genny to
>recharge and equalize it takes a very long time and
>subsequently a lot of fuel.
>Has anyone else noticed?

Yes, I have definitely noticed that.  When my huge great battery gets
low it is very ungrateful for any charge that comes its way and it is
very unrewarding to jam a load of amps into it for short periods.
For a few years I had the habit of running my engine driven welder to
charge at about 2kW, while using only a couple of hundred watts in
the house.  A gallon of fuel later the batteries would be no happier.
Nowadays I run a tiny little generator and all the power gets used
directly (saving my batteries from discharging much) and a gallon of
fuel would last me about 15 hours.  Makes more sense to me.  I wait
for cheap and abundant wind energy to persuade my batteries back to
life later.
--
Hugh

Scoraig Wind Electric
http://www.scoraigwind.co.uk/

Ben & Jerry’s® or Häagen-Dazs®?
Take our Nationwide Ice Cream Survey today! Receive a FREE* $100
Restaurant Gift Card of your choice or $100 worth of Ben &
Jerry’s® or Häagen-Dazs® ice cream for participating!
http://click.topica.com/caadKb7bz8Qcsbz9JC9f/Ice Cream Research Survey

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com