Now: OutBack Questions [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas --- OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Tue Jun 21 21:06:36 PDT 2005

Get a Free T-Mobile Sidekick II plus $500 towards service!
Click here.
http://click.topica.com/caadAcqbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ProductTestPanel

Ray and Wrenches -

Here are my comments with the questions included:

>>1) Can you stack three inverters with a transformer for 3 wire single
phase 220? ( a customer wanted to save some money)

You can wire three inverters in a 120/240 VAC split phase configuration
- two on Leg 1 and one on leg 2 is how I've done it.  This mostly
increases the starting surge power capability - the X-240
autotransformer still does its thing and makes it all work out OK.

>>2) What is the maximum pump HP that can be run with a pair of Outback
VFX 3648s. I have two customers each with deep well 3 Hp submersibles.
My Franklin motor book shows for a 3 HP pump a maximum current of 17Amps
(230v) but a locked rotor current of 83 amps, meanwhile their suggested
breaker size is 40 amps. The Outback 1Ms surge is 70 amps, the 100Ms
surge is 50 amps, the 5 sec surge is 41.6 amps. Sure seems like a pair
of the Outbacks would run a 3 Hp pump, but could overload occasionally
with other loads on.

We have had a number of systems reported to us which are running 3 HP
pumps on two OutBack 24 or 48 vdc inverters without issues.  I would not
suggest going to a larger pump without adding more inverters. The X-240
autotransformer is highly recommended when pushing the inverters hard
like this. The real variable is what else might be running when the pump
starts.

The locked rotor amps is a worst case scenario - which is why we like to
reference it.  In the real world the pump requires less amps to start
(unless you have really high mineral content and the pump sits off for
long time periods). I typically see about 2/3rds of what the book says
with a meter set to the 1 millisecond peak max setting on my trusty
Fluke 87 meter with an AC clamp probe.

Even if the pump needs more than the OutBack inverter is able to provide
- we don't just shut off like some older inverter designs - we actually
provide the 70 amps maximum and allow the output voltage to droop a
little - often this is hard to measure in the field because it usually
only happens for part of a cycle or for a few cycles.  This typically
will not cause any issue with other loads operating at the same time
such as computers, TVs etc.

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems
cfreitas at outbackpower.com
19009 62nd Ave NE
Arlington WA 98223 USA
Tel 360 435 6030
Fax 360 435 6019
www.outbackpower.com

>> I've got 2 Outback related questions while were at:
>> 1) Can you stack three inverters with a transformer for 3
>> wire single phase
>> 220? ( a customer wanted to save some money)
>> 2) What is the maximum pump HP that can be run with a pair
>> of Outback VFX
>> 3648s. I have two customers each with deep well 3 Hp
>> submersibles. My Franklin motor book shows for a 3 HP pump a
>> maximum current of 17Amps
>> (230v) but a locked rotor current of 83 amps, meanwhile
>> their suggested
>> breaker size is 40 amps. The Outback 1Ms surge is 70 amps,
>> the 100Ms surge
>> is 50 amps, the 5 sec surge is 41.6 amps. Sure seems like a
>> pair of the
>> Outbacks would run a 3 Hp pump, but could overload
>> occasionally with other
>> loads on.
>> I've run a 2 Hp pump with a single DR 3624 and T240
>> transformer, although I
>> advised the customer to use it for emergencies only.
>> Any real experience with Outbacks out there?
>>
>> Thanks beforehand,
>>
>> Ray Walters
>>
>> Your free subscription is supported by today's sponsor:
>> FREE Zoobooks Elephants ISSUE and tiger POSTER!
>> Is your child reading? Zoobooks is guaranteed to improve
>> your child's reading skills. Click below to sign up now!

>> - - - -
>> To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com
>>
>> Archive of previous messages:
>> http://lists.topica.com/lists/RE->> wrenches/read
>>
>> List rules &
>> etiquette:
>> www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php
>>
>> Check out participant bios: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/
>>
>> Hosted by Home Power magazine
>>
>> Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com

Get $1,000 to spend on groceries… any way you please. Click here!
http://click.topica.com/caadAcAbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/GrocerySpree

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com