CA. Senate Bill 1 [RE-wrenches]

Barbra Kerr bkerr at energy-exchange.org
Thu Jun 2 21:39:19 PDT 2005

Get a Free Sirius Satellite Package, don't pass on this!
http://click.topica.com/caadAcobz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ProductTestPanel

I guess I will put my two cents in on this topic and you may want to give
right back to me!

Please know that the NECA/IBEW labor unions are the behind this particular
part of the bill.    Please also know that I am a member the Associated
Builders & Contractors (ABC) a merit shop (Non-union) contractor's trade
association. As a holder of both a C-10 and B license, I am in favor of this
requirement, primarily for the following reasons.

1.  The NEC (the guiding light and bible of any decent electrician) is first
and foremost written for the protection of life, life safety, and property -
not to insure that anything particular system or component will work.  As an
electrician ALL of my education, training, and in field experience is
primarily focused on these three things - and then on engineering a system
that will perform within these guidelines. This is hammered home day-in &
day-out, and we carry our bible with us throughout the business day.  C-46's
(Plumbers) are not indoctrinated into or under the NEC code and therefore do
not possess (in general) the detailed knowledge required to perform this
work.
2.  The only common scopes of work between a C-46 and C-10 are:
	a.  Roof mounting integration
	b.  Ground mount structures
	c.  Trench design (in most cases)
	d.  The securing of "collectors" (water or PV) to a racking system.
     From this point on our scopes of work differ dramatically.

3.  Electrical interconnection:

	C-46's are not trained in derating of main services, CB retaining
clips, or GROUNDING.  They are not trained in box and wire fill, or wire
sizes and voltage drops.  They are not trained to recognize if an existing
service needs to be replaced even if spaces are existing, they are not
trained to do load calcs, or recognize an existing fire hazard or what to do
to prevent one.  They are not trained in using electric meters to check
voltages, current readings, and troubleshooting of electrical systems.  In
other states, such as New York and New Jersey ONLY a C-10 can touch 600v
wire and/or the main service.  This also goes for connecting the modules in
series, and the strings in parallel.

These are my main reasons for supporting C-10s doing this work.

Now that having been shared, PLEASE KNOW THAT THERE ARE ONLY A HANDFUL OF
C-46's in SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA THAT HAVE LEARNED MUCH OF THIS AND DO
EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT WORK - These people I know personally. And when I have
competed against them and lost - I let the clients know that they will do a
great job for them.

Graham is right about the Scope of work defined in the CSLB.  When have we
known our government to be ahead of the curve?  Until a few years ago, there
was no such thing as Grid tied PV. 99.9% of PV was off grid in the outback
or remote locations.  No reason to include the building/utility officials or
train people.   Let's face it, as this industry grows, the systems
(government, building, etc...) will change until we hit static and have all
the kinks and concerns addressed.

Finally, there is nothing stopping a C-46 from testing for their C-10

Barbra K. Kerr
President
Kerr Enterprises, Inc
PO Box 1992