Battery Auto-Watering Systems [RE-wrenches]

Matt Tritt solarone at charter.net
Sat May 28 11:55:39 PDT 2005

Get a Free Sirius Satellite Package, don't pass on this!
http://click.topica.com/caadwPhbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ProductTestPanel

This brings up a very good point concerning all lead-acid batteries, and
one that I bitch about frequently (to anybody dumb enough to listen):
Why - O - Why all the different battery filler and cap arrangements? Why
isn't there ONE type for all non-vehicular batteries? Years ago, when
hydrocaps seemed like the answer to a solar prayer, it was common to
furnish the factory with a sample filler cap to avoid the all-too-common
problem of mis-match.

I have asked several battery manufacturers about his over the years and
none of them seems to have a clue as to why there is so much variety.
Maybe somebody knows why this irritating situation exists???

Matt T

Tom DeBates wrote:

>"Good day all,
>  I recently in stalled an auto-watering system
>("German-type") on eight Surrette 6-CS-17PS batteries.
>Seems like a nice system that will fill the needs of
>the owner. He had installed a Y2K system and never
>watered the cells. However, make CERTAIN that you get
>the proper floats for the caps. They sent the wrong
>floats the first time, resulting in overfilled cells.
>I would suggest installing the float/cap assembly on
>one cell and test filling to see that it shuts off at
>the proper level.
>  reagrds,"

Take movies and games anywhere with a Free Playstation Portable!
http://click.topica.com/caadwPbbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ProductTestPanel

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com