L-16 "cycling" requirements? [RE-wrenches]

Windy Dankoff, Dankoff Solar windydankoff at mac.com
Thu May 26 16:58:00 PDT 2005

Get a Free Sirius Satellite Package, don't pass on this!
http://click.topica.com/caadwPhbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ProductTestPanel

Bob, Jim,

Between 1977 and 85, I sold used C&D and similar batteries, scrapped by
telcom and UPS industries. They had those extension tubes going down to
the bottom of the cell. Numerous times I compared top to bottom
readings and found no notable difference, except maybe when the battery
is charging and area above the plates is lagging behind in S.G.

I never found evidence of stratification as a potential problem, even
in low charge-rate systems.

BTW, the record longevity for those "scrap" batteries I sold was 18
years -- on a full-time wind/PV home system. Oh, and they were 10 years
old when I sold them. They were C&D lead-calcium, but I provided strict
instructions to use a hydrometer and assure no cycling below 50%. Some
customers took that seriously. Others got only 1-3 years.

Windy

> Bob Ellison wrote:
>>
>> Over a period of time the electrolyte stratifies with the heaver acid
>> settling to the bottom and the lighter water floating to the top.
> ******
> C&D, and I'm sure other battery makers, have a withdrawl tube that
> extends almost halfway to the bottom of the cells case. It allows you
> pull up acid from near the center of the case where the water/acid mix
> is near it's 'average' strength in case it's not well mixed.
> Those tubes have to be in the corners because it's impossible to
> retrieve acid  via the fill holes except from the very top, the watered
> down part of the mixture. If the cells have tubes, they should be used
> unless the battery has been fully charged and allowed to sit unused for
> several hours, the 'recommended' way to check SG.
> Another good thread...
> Jim Duncan
> North Texas Renewable Energy Inc

Erase wrinkles without Botox! Nexiderm SP is clinically proven to
reduce wrinkles by 68% Click here to get your 30-day free supply.
http://click.topica.com/caadslIbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/Nexiderm

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com