L-16 "cycling" requirements? [RE-wrenches]

Todd Cory, Mt. Shasta Energy Services toddcory at finestplanet.com
Sun May 22 11:18:29 PDT 2005

Get a Free Sirius Satellite Package, don't pass on this!
http://click.topica.com/caadwPhbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ProductTestPanel

Jim Lee at Trojan confirmed that as one cycles a new battery it's a/h capacity
will increase until it reaches the rated AH capacity. He also said there is no
need do special cycling to accomplish this... it just happens through use. It is
a myth that there is "permanent damage" from not doing it. The surface area of
the plates will be enhanced through cycling whenever it happens, until they
reach their maximum a/h rating. It can be done during use when they are new or
years later. He also said it takes way more then 5 to 10 cycles for this to
happen.

One would think with all of us working with batteries so much there would be
better factual information about just what is the best way to use them and what
is the best chemistry for different applications.

Todd

bbassett at rockisland.com wrote:

> Some of what I've heard about batteries:
>
> That lead acid batteries require some cycling to form the plates, unless
> the battery has tank formed plates, which means that the plates have
> already been formed before they were installed in the battery case. This
> also allows the manufacturer to match plates for more equal performance
> and a better battery too.
>
> I've also heard, I think from Ralph Heisie (sp?) of Bogart. That it
> might be possible that the total cycle life is pretty closly related to
> the total number of AHr's discharged form the battery over it's life
> regardless fo depth of discharge. Maybe if you talk to him you could ask
> if he still thinks that might be true.
>
> A battery can be brought to a full state of charge by either charging
> for a shorter time at a higher voltage or for a longer time at a lower
> voltage, within limits. Even a NiCd battery can be fully charged at a
> lower voltage than normal if left long enough. This is also why
> batteries show thet signs fo being overcharged if they are left on float
> 24/7, unless the voltage is fairly low.
>
> Brad
> AEE Solar
>
>         One thing to remember is that with flooded batteries like the L-16,
> especially if they are constantly on float as in a grid tie
> application, they should be cycled 5-10 times when they are new to
> form the plates. If not, you will see a permanent reduction in
> capacity. I learned this the hard way when I installed my own grid
> tie system ablut 10 years ago and never cycled the batteries, only
> to see a reduced capacity much later when it was too late.
> Jon Hill, Sierra Solar Systems

Need a new washer and dryer set? You could get one free!
http://click.topica.com/caadtaGbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ProductTestPanel

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com