L-16 "cycling" requirements? [RE-wrenches]

bbassett at rockisland.com bbassett at rockisland.com
Sun May 22 10:32:37 PDT 2005

Get a Free T-Mobile Sidekick II plus $500 towards service!
Click here.
http://click.topica.com/caaduFNbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ProductTestPanel

Some of what I've heard about batteries:

That lead acid batteries require some cycling to form the plates, unless
the battery has tank formed plates, which means that the plates have
already been formed before they were installed in the battery case. This
also allows the manufacturer to match plates for more equal performance
and a better battery too.

I've also heard, I think from Ralph Heisie (sp?) of Bogart. That it
might be possible that the total cycle life is pretty closly related to
the total number of AHr's discharged form the battery over it's life
regardless fo depth of discharge. Maybe if you talk to him you could ask
if he still thinks that might be true.

A battery can be brought to a full state of charge by either charging
for a shorter time at a higher voltage or for a longer time at a lower
voltage, within limits. Even a NiCd battery can be fully charged at a
lower voltage than normal if left long enough. This is also why
batteries show thet signs fo being overcharged if they are left on float
24/7, unless the voltage is fairly low.

Brad
AEE Solar

 	One thing to remember is that with flooded batteries like the L-16,
especially if they are constantly on float as in a grid tie
application, they should be cycled 5-10 times when they are new to
form the plates. If not, you will see a permanent reduction in
capacity. I learned this the hard way when I installed my own grid
tie system ablut 10 years ago and never cycled the batteries, only
to see a reduced capacity much later when it was too late.
Jon Hill, Sierra Solar Systems
Doug Pratt wrote:

> Ya know Todd, now that you ask, I can't point to a definitive source
> that
> says "cycle your deep-cycle batteries periodically or lose capacity",
> but
> that's been my understanding for lead-antimony cells. They tend to get
> "stiff" chemically and won't go as deep without dropping voltage. My
> years
> of driving an EV certainly support this. Need to do a long trip? There's
> nothing like a modest warm-up cycle or two to make your batteries
> deliver
> more kWhrs without voltage sag.
>
> Lead-calcium is a different critter, and loves to just float and float
> with
> most cycles no deeper than 10-15%. But as you've found, since Ma Bell
> quit
> using 48-volt relay-based switches (in the '80s), which required
> monstrous
> banks of cells, lead-calcium wet-cells have become rare.
>
> Given my druthers with sealed batteries, I prefer gels. They've got more
> moisture in them initially, so they're a bit more tolerant of abuses.
> But
> they're harder to manufacture, therefore more expensive, and not always
> worth the higher cost. My own Outback grid-tie system has a set of 550
> Ah
> Yuasa industrial gels on it ($$$!!!), and I'd sure like to see 20 years
> out
> of them. (Ask me again in 15 years...)
>
> My biggest beef with wet-cells on grid-tie systems is that folks will
> forget
> to water them. Since they're used infrequently they sorta slip from
> memory
> and the next thing you know it's been 8 to 30 months since the last
> watering. I've yet to visit a grid-tie system with wet cells that didn't
> have plates showing (other than brand-new). It's just inviting trouble.
>
> Thanks for the $/kWh/yr calcs. Good info!
>
> Cheers,
> Doug Pratt

Erase wrinkles without Botox! Nexiderm SP is clinically proven to
reduce wrinkles by 68% Click here to get your 30-day free supply.
http://click.topica.com/caadslIbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/Nexiderm

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com