L16 Universal Terminals [RE-wrenches]

Bob-O Schultze, Electron Connection econnect at snowcrest.net
Tue May 17 18:12:54 PDT 2005

Erase wrinkles without painful injections with Nexiderm SP.
Nexiderm SP is clinically proven to reduce wrinkles by 68% Click
here to get your 30-day free supply.
http://click.topica.com/caadvf5bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Nexiderm

John,
How many L16s do you buy from this guy in a year's time?  If it's 50 or
more, I think your distributor is being unreasonable. This is
especially true if you can give him some sort of a prediction of future
work. If you know, for example, that you've got three or four systems
coming up in the next two months and they will each take 12 batts, he
should be stocking those for you. Offer to give him a PO for what you
know you will use. If he won't budge, look elsewhere. Buy your next
pallet from out of state and tell him that you are doing so. Explain
gently that you like his service and would rather buy from him but....
Good Luck, bob-O
On May 17, 2005, at 10:27 AM, John Raynes wrote:
> Wrenches,
>
> Have any of you had issues with the L16 batteries, with universal
> terminal style?  We were surprised to find out recently that our only
> distributor in Utah for Trojan Batteries was no longer stocking L16G's
> with the "L" terminal (LT).  They now only stock the "Universal" (UT)
> terminal.  If you're not familiar with this, the UT is a tapered round
> stub with a through hole, designed for either automotive style lugs,
> or through-bolt connections.
>
> I have some problems with the UT style terminal.  First, the
> recommended torque rating isn't clear.  These are the current
> published torque ratings, for all terminal style types, from Trojan's
> literature:
>
> Automotive: 50-70 in-lbs
> Side: 70-90 in-lbs
> Wingnut: 95-105 in-lbs
> LPT: 95-105 in-lbs
> LT: 100-120 in-lbs
>
> There is no direct torque spec for the UT.  The "Side" spec would
> appear to correspond most closely to the UT in the configuration that
> we all use it for RE systems, but I'm not 100% sure.  I've tried
> repeatedly to get a confirmation on this from Trojan with no success.
> We like to torque our connections as securely as allowable for the
> obvious reasons, but the UT terminal will start to squish as you
> torque it using a side bolt, and can crack under relatively light
> torque.  I'm not really that comfortable even tightening them to the
> 70-90 range at this point.  The LT is far more robust and tolerant.
>
> Our distrib will get L16's with the L Terminals at the same price, as
> long as I order a pallet of 18.  Sometimes that will work for us, but
> that's an odd number of batteries for a typical job.  So unless I have
> a group of jobs where I can move all of the L16's on a pallet or two,
> I will have some sitting on the shelf.   I could order outside the
> state, but we're very remote and our Utah distributor does deliver for
> free, once every two weeks.  I really don't want to touch these UT
> terminals again if I can avoid it.  Any suggestions or insights?
>
> Thanks,
> John Raynes
> RE Solar
> Torrey UT
> 435-425-2110

Erase wrinkles without Botox! Nexiderm SP is clinically proven to
reduce wrinkles by 68% Click here to get your 30-day free supply.
http://click.topica.com/caadslIbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/Nexiderm

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com