el sid question [RE-wrenches]

Conrad Geyser conradg at cape.com
Mon May 16 20:20:30 PDT 2005

Erase wrinkles without Botox! Nexiderm SP is clinically proven to
reduce wrinkles by 68% Click here to get your 30-day free supply.
http://click.topica.com/caadslIbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Nexiderm

Jay,
    I echo Brads comment about not using plastic pipe in the loop to the
panels.  Sooner or later there will be a situation (power failure, control
glitch...) where live steam will be fed down the return pipe. Unless you
have old Daystar collectors with their goofy overheat dump loop.
    As far as overheat protection, diversion loops are sometimes used(good
for dehumidifying damp basements!) but usually the system just goes on
heating the tank(at least if it's glycol).  The efficiency drops
precipitously with the increasing temperature and eventually approaches zero
somewhere in the 160 - 200 F range.  This just packs away more storage for
spanning cloudy spells but can be hard on the tanks.  Stainless steel is
nice for taking the abuse!

happy heating,
Conrad Geyser
Cotuit Solar