Off grid Islanding [RE-wrenches]

Carl Emerson, Free Power Ltd. freepower at freepower.co.nz
Fri Apr 15 18:15:35 PDT 2005

Get both the PlayStation2 and Game Cube for Free! Click here to
find out how.
http://click.topica.com/caadlVCbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Consumer Research

Hey Team...

This reminds me of an issue I raised here several years ago...

Can you make a remote ring grid with several SW inverters ??

Carl Emerson
Manager
Free Power Ltd.

I've always known the SW was bidirectional, I just didn't know you could do
in and out through the single AC output. Hey that's amazing. Here in the
off-grid world, we're still living under the notion that if you feed power
to an inverter's output it will fry the inverter. I guess its only if its
not synchronized that it will fry the inverter. What happens with a DR or
other modsine inverter? Is the waveform close enough to keep a SunnyBoy
going? Can a DR be backfed synchronous power?

I love this list. Learn something new everyday as they say.

Thanks,

Ray

>Ray,
>The SW is bi-directional. if you put ac into the output, it charges the
>battery. The AC in terminal is connected directly to the output through a
>relay. The inverter is quite amazing. If you connect the output of the SB
>and the SW to the same sub panel and turn off all loads you will see it
>charge the battery. If you turn on loads to the point you are drawing more
>than the SB is supplying, it will begin to draw power from the battery and
>supply the excess that the SB is not supplying. I use an outback for
>backup power on my grid connected house this way. As long as the SW in
>turned on, there is a sine wave present at the AC output. This makes the
>SB think the grid is present. I hope this answers your question. If not
>let me know and I will try to draw a diagram.
>By the way, if you connect the AC input of the SW or (FX) to a breaker in
>the main panel in a grid connected system it will become your connection
>from the main panel to the sub panel (120VAC) and the inverter will turn
>on whenever the grid fails and keep the SB running. If you are using a 240
>V SB, you will need an autotransformer or a second SW.
>David

Click Here for the #1 Investigative tool on the Net!
http://click.topica.com/caadlCpbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/Web Detective

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com