CEC list of eligible inverters [RE-wrenches]

Matt Lafferty mlafferty at universalenergies.com
Mon Apr 4 23:02:24 PDT 2005

Click Here for the #1 Investigative tool on the Net!
http://click.topica.com/caadlCpbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Web Detective

Wrenches,

John B wrote:

>  First and foremost no one should panic.

I disagree.  For those working in markets that are dependent on and keyed to
the CEC Equipment lists, I believe that all-out panic is an appropriate
reaction.  A controlled and focused panic of outrage, but a panic
nonetheless.

Barbara K understated it tremendously when she said:

>  This is yet another, unprofessional job by the leaders of the CEC.

Those of you in states that are / may contemplate developing some sort of
"rebate/incentive" program, listen close... DO NOT RECOMMEND THAT YOUR LOCAL
PROGRAM DEPEND ON THE CEC EQUIPMENT LISTS!   Does anybody really think that
the CEC program is going to be around forever?

This "hiccup" is only one of many in the sullied history of the CEC lists,
albeit a terribly funny one, in my cynic-based opinion (Sorry, Grass
Valley).  Ian W's inference to "politics" is unfortunately only part of the
equation, but don't leave out the crucial factors of Buron-Butt (BB) and
Flat-Out Ineptitude (FOI).

How many CA Wrenches have suffered the "Gee.  We never received your
application.  Please resend the original with wet signatures.  Oh, by the
way, your "new" submittal will only qualify for the current rebate level"
experience?  I swear... I've heard more stories about the BB / FOI of the CA
programs than a High-School Teacher hears excuses for why students' papers
are turned in late or missing.

I argue that a national "clearinghouse" be established to maintain a central
database of RE equipment specs.  This could/should be setup as a
"non-partisan" organization and funded by Manufacturers.  An initial "setup"
fee and nominal monthly maintenance subscription on a per-item basis should
be sufficient.  Maintaining the whole thing shouldn't take more than a
domain and one to one and a half people max.  Put the thing in Arkansas,
next to Wal-Mart Headquarters, hire a hot-shot high-school kid and the whole
kit and kaboodle couldn't cost more than $50K a year.  Heck, outsource the
thing to India and.... Nah, the Rupee is too strong right now and it would
work only twice as good and cost a quarter as much as it does now... Scratch
the "outsource" idea.  The principle is that "better" is necessary... Not
just whether or not some inverters might not be on the list for a couple of
weeks, either.  More specs, in a common language, for starters.

Once set up, new or revised info would be entered and posted as it comes in
and gets entered.   A "month-end" archive of the previous 24 months should
be readily available with a single click, so projects that get built using
"no longer available" products aren't totally left out in the cold.

All relevant specs and certifications should be posted in a common format
and "language", exportable to Excel.  Including Manufacturer contact
information.  Links to Manufacturer spec sheets for every single product
should be posted and verified monthly... A field for an optional link to the
Manufacturer's Homepage and/or "Approved Dealers List" should be included.
Broken links = No posting until / unless it gets fixed.  Archives should be
kept available for some time period such as a year, unlike the broken link
at the CEC page... Did I mention Buron Butt & Flat Out Ineptitude?  (For
anybody in dire need of the complete inverter list as of March 14, write me
off-list. I will send it to you in Excel.)

As products "age" or become obsolete, the manufacturers could simply elect
not to pay their subscription.  This would eliminate well over half of the
modules currently on the CEC list in my estimation.  Get real... In this day
and age of "module shortages", are there really 600 different modules
available?  Just where am I going to get an EPV-30 or DS-30 anyway?  And why
would I want them?  Gee, didn't BP quit the thin-film business like 2 years
ago?

This approach should serve multiple purposes.  It should effectively get ALL
the relevant specs and data in ONE place and in ONE language!  Manufacturers
would only have to support one list.  Manufacturers would be responsible for
actually posting COMPLETE specs and maintaining the links.... It would
stimulate them to finally begin speaking the same language and using Inches
instead of Centimeters!  Hell, who knows... They might even start putting
the information on their spec sheets in the same order as one another!   How
many of us have spent hours and hours digging for the specs on modules or
inverters only to find that it isn't "findable" or it's missing an important
piece of information?

It's late and my dinner is about ready and Jon Stewart just started... Gotta
run... Think aobut it.

Two Palms,

Matt Lafferty
mlafferty at universalenergies.com
(415) 252-0343
(415) 748-6010 Cell
(916) 914-2247 Fax

Sign up today for a No Annual Fee Discover® Platinum Card and get…
0% Intro APR on Purchases & Balance Transfers for 8 Months, Up to
2% Cashback Bonus® reward on your purchases & 100% fraud
protection.
http://click.topica.com/caadlRMbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/DiscoverCard

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php