MC Connectors (was Sharp modules) [RE-wrenches]

Phil Undercuffler phil at dankoffsolar.com
Tue Mar 1 15:00:45 PST 2005

Get both the MiFi XM Satellite Radio and an Apple iPod for Free!
http://click.topica.com/caadeMlbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ProductTestPanel

I also dislike the spaghetti look of many MC connected arrays.  But I really
dislike the idea of cutting off the MC ends.

When I did the big array upgrade at my home, I tried a different approach--I
think I might have gotten the idea here on the Wrenches.  My array is 8 BP
modules on a UniRac pole top.  Unirac provides an aluminum disk to cap the
pole, and I used a KO punch to put a chase nipple through it.  I then cut a
hole in the pole at combiner level using a 4 1/2" grinder.  Put a 1" chase
nipple and bushing through the back of the combiner and lined everything up.

I then used one 10m MC extension per string.  I cut the extension in half to
get both a male and female end.  I then routed each pair through the array
pole into the combiner.  I neatly coiled up the slack of the module
connections at the array end, which puts all the connections safely up 8' in
the air.

This gave me the flexibility and adaptability of the MC connectors, without
the exposed wires and drip loop.

Phil Undercuffler
Dankoff Solar Products

on 3/1/05 9:14 AM, Todd Cory, Mt. Shasta Energy Services at
toddcory at finestplanet.com wrote:
> Somehow this looks "cheesy" to me, having exposed wires run from a pole mount
> or
> tracking rack to the PSPV combiner. I usually mount a bell box on the back of
> several panels to combine the MC cables and convert to USE2 inside carflex.
>
> Todd

> Jeff Wongstrom wrote:
>
>> William,
>>
>> There is no need to wack off the end mc connectors. Order a premade use-2
>> cable from your panel supplier with a male and female end long enough to
>> reach to the j-box from both end panels.  Cut this cable at the appropriate
>> spot, wire into j-box, and plug into panels.
>>
>> Jeff Wongstrom
>> Thirsty Lake Solar
>> 406-889-5324

2-Day Tax Refund Loans TaxBrain Online Tax Service Get Started
Now!
http://click.topica.com/caadeMnbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/TaxBrain

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php