Off-grid update... [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas --- OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Thu Feb 24 14:59:42 PST 2005

Get both the PlayStation2 and Game Cube for Free! Click here to
find out how.
http://click.topica.com/caac8utbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Consumer Research

Welcome back to the off-grid world Jim,

There really isn't any difference in the installation requirements for a
12, 24 or 48 vdc system these days other than the ampacity of the
conductors.  Most wire, breakers, etc have maximum voltage ratings that
are well above the voltages encountered in a 12, 24 of 48 vdc system.
The 50 vdc limitation is rarely utilized by anyone to their benefit
these days - and when it was previously it was probably being done
incorrectly.

One change to be aware of is that using multiple different voltages on
the same system is now pretty common - for example wiring the PV array
for a higher nominal voltage (such as 48, 60 or even 72 vdc) but the
battery staying at 24 vdc.  This improves the performance and lower the
total cost in many situations.  It also means you don't need to wrestle
with such large wires from the PV array.

The "non-load break disconnects" I think is a reference to bolted
connections or Anderson type connectors for servicing the battery or
system. Not a big deal - you still need a real load break rated DC
disconnect for the battery in residential/commercial installations (but
not RVs or boats ?!?)

The other issue is that ground fault protection (GFP) is now readily
available and must be included on roof-top mounted PV arrays on houses.
This was always required but was not often enforced previously as there
was not listed hardware available to meet this requirement. Now days its
easy to include and is worth doing.

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems
cfreitas at outbackpower.com
19009 62nd Ave NE
Arlington WA 98223 USA
Tel 360 435 6030
Fax 360 435 6019
www.outbackpower.com

Get a FREE* MP3 Player - yours to keep! Click Here Now!
http://click.topica.com/caac8uxbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/MP3 Player Giveaway

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com