interconnection question [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at slonet.org
Mon Feb 21 21:13:58 PST 2005

Your opinion counts! We're giving away ten $100 cash prizes!
A major food company wants to know what you think about a product
& package design. Hurry, only ten $100 prizes left!
http://click.topica.com/caadbR9bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Val Rad Survey

Keith:

A couple of thoughts before I put my head cold to bed:

I assume three phase.  Sounds like 45kw may just about max out the
feeder.  What is the feeder efficiency at max generation?  We look for 1%.

What size load center?  It needs to handle the load PLUS the generated
power.  This is counter intuitive, but I had this explained to me by a
licensed electrical engineer and I agreed with the concept.  It has
something to do with overloading the buss bars on the load center with two
sources supplying power to the loads.

What disconnecting means are required for the feeder?  If a special
disconnect is required, it will disconnect the roof top loads.  What
scenario would require this disconnect to be activated?  Is this going to
be OK?

Are there harmonics generated by the roof top equipment that may mess with
the inverters sensing circuitry?

Do you need to transformer isolate this inverter?  If so, would this be
more appropriate installed at ground level?

William Miller

>Hey gang
>

>This might be a Bill question: (no offense to any others- I just figured he
>had the pulse of California fresh on his mind!)
>

>If you were looking at putting a 50KW system on a building, and were going
>to use a 45KW Trace unit, and they already had a 100 amp, 480 volt feeder on
>the roof for mechanical equipment, what are the specific rules governing the
>interconnection?
>

>My mind says, I will be basically neutralizing the load, which is connected
>to a distribution panel with a 600 amp electrical service. But, I know
>looking at this, it would seem too easy to tie in to the panel on the roof,
>and add a curb for the inverter.
>

>Thanks!
>

>Keith Cronin
>
>President
>
>Island Energy Solutions Inc.
>
>270 Kuulei Rd. Suite 106
>
>Kailua, HI 96734
>
>808-262-3268 Tel
>
>808-263-0338 Fax
>
>keith at islandenergy.net
>
>www.islandenergy.net

>Your free subscription is supported by today's sponsor:
>Get both the MiFi XM Satellite Radio and an Apple iPod for Free!
>http://click.topica.com/caadazobz8QcsbAoCKvf/ProductTestPanel
>
>- - - -
>
>Archive of previous messages: http://lists.topica.com/lists/RE-wrenches/read
>
>List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php
>
>Check out participant bios: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/
>
>Hosted by Home Power magazine

2-Day Tax Refund Loans TaxBrain Online Tax Service Get Started
Now!
http://click.topica.com/caac8vhbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/TaxBrain

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php